Discoveries in Trust

A few posts ago I alluded to a hard year of health stuff that we had in 2014. It was kind of one thing after another and just felt discouraging. It also affected our relationships, though it took awhile to recognize it. But the most draining part was processing it spiritually. The world abounds with a wide variety of views on how God works. The thoughts offered (and the circumstances) made me wonder about a lot of things. One of them being, "What does it actually mean to trust God?"

The evidence of life in this world makes it pretty clear that it would be foolish to think trusting Him means things will turn out a certain way. You hear people say, "Trust HIM. Not what He can do." Sounds good, but when I am in a time that is unpleasant and hard and draining, and I am trying to put my trust into practice, I need something more practical. What does it MEAN to trust Him? HOW do I trust Him?

In the light of the fact that 2015 is already presenting us with harder things than all of 2014 put together, I've been pretty in need of an answer. As I struggled with what I could say to my kids that was true and offered some comfort, I think I am finally getting some insight on what it means to trust God.

So here's my definition (written here for when I forget in the future.)
Trusting God is believing and resting in the fact that no matter what happens, God will be there and  care for us as He sees us through.

Comments

Mouseymom said…
I love your definition. sounds like we need to have one of our old fashioned random phone calls to hash.
smw said…
I'm all for that! :)
thanks for sharing your heart and I am so sorry 2015 is already looking uncertain.

Thanks for the great definition - so cool to see what He is working out in your heart through trial...
Nichole said…
been thinking about you a lot, Shar. And when I do, I pray :) excellent definition.
Sandra said…
Super definition!! A good one for me as I have some areas in my life where I am feeling quite the same. How do I trust? But as time is going on and I don't seem to be fixing them myself it's making me realize I'm not trusting him and I need to be!! Love you shar!!
leah said…
that's beautiful definition and i love how you want to remind yourself for when you forget, because it happens so quickly, doesn't it? praying for you and love you!
smw said…
I sure forget quickly!!! Thanks!!
T and M said…
Thank you for sharing your definition, Shar. Your attitude has been an encouragement to me. Yes, Jesus loves you/me/us!
M
Linda said…
Praying for you! Thanks for sharing your heart....
Wee said…
Love this, Shar! Praying for you!
Jacki said…
Good definition btw----read this quite a while back, and either tried to post and failed, or didn't post, but I always enjoy reading your posts!!
smw said…
Aww. Thanks, mom. Love ya!

Popular Posts