The Soap Box of a Cancerous Woman

Beware: This post contains controversial thoughts. But being a person who takes people's opinions very seriously and considers them for whatever merit that may be there, I'm calling this my turn to speak.  And I'll use the cancer card.  It's got to have a perk or two...

Going into this journey,  I did well for about three weeks.  Lots of emotion, but really felt pretty peaceful and rather serene given all that has been going on in our lives.  But then things kind of crashed and burned.  Totally out of the blue.  Totally out of my control.  In a way that I would never have anticipated.

I had imagined this cancer being a chance for God to use me as a testimony of His goodness and miraculous sustenance. Instead, I became a bawling mess, afraid to even let Jaret leave me (due to the aforementioned event).  Never mind doing medical testing in front of the people I imagined I might be a 'witness' to.  At one point after being unable to complete a test and falling apart in the doctor's office as the staff hung around doing their duties pretending not to notice me, I asked Jaret how this was supposed to be a glory to God.  He didn't really have an answer, and I took comfort in the fact that at least Jaret's faithful care is a picture of God's love.

It is wearying to be here and yet feel such a pressure to perform in order to "make much of Jesus" or 'bring glory to God".  The pressure is internal, yet it is also preached high and low. If I just keep the correct perspective, God will be glorified. If I keep it all together in the face of daunting circumstances, much will be made of Jesus.  Performance.  Not as in acting, but as in: it is up to me.

This may be just that I am weak and wimpy, and if so, that's fine. There may be another weak or wimpy person out there someday that relates. But during this time, I need Jesus to hold me. I am not his banner child. I do not strongly declare, nor do I necessarily believe, that this is His good plan for me. (I say 'necessarily' because I am not God, so I don't presume to have His ways all figured out.)

I DO believe He will bring good from this.  And while I wait, I can sense Him holding me when I trust that He is grieving with me. When I believe that my tragedy is more to him than a necessary piece in the puzzle of His Grand Scheme. When I remember that He (and I) have an enemy that we are fighting who comes to kill and steal and destroy. And that my God wins everything in the end.

If God is glorified through this, it will not be because I suffered correctly or performed well.  It will be because I serve a God who steps in time after time and carries the broken to victory.


editing this to add: After thinking about this post, I realized that people could worry that they have said something wrong to me (since I do have cancer and all) so I wanted to be clear that this was not me addressing any comments that have been made to me. Just recording the wrestlings inside of myself and declaring the truths that have brought freedom and peace and refuting the thoughts that do the opposite.


Comments

Jacki said…
It's ok, and i'm sure Jesus loves to hold you!! Love you, Mom
smw said…
You are a sweet and good mom. I love you!
Nichole said…
Absolutely, Shar! "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him" You being "weak, and a mess" (your words! :) can still point others to God, if you are claiming that HE is where your provision and hope is coming from. Praying for you daily friend!
smw said…
thanks, nichole!
sandra said…
This gave me tears. Oh shar you have all right to feel "a mess"....just hold on tight. He isn't t leaving you nor will he ever. We continue to pray for you guys and for your upcoming surgery next week!!!
I just loved this post. So real & so raw. Thank you for your perspective - it's so refreshing. That last line in your post was inspiring....

Love,
Sarah
petite+grand said…
Shar.. Praying for you. I have no idea what you are dealing with, but if it is breast cancer & you need to talk or need a second opinion then Luke works with this frequently in his fellowship & also completes research on breast cancer. Thinking of you!
emilykate said…
Yes, your last line says it so well. This totally makes sense to me - from what I can imagine anyway. Love and prayers!
L, Ann and boys said…
Shar, I had no idea you were going through this. I'm praying for you whenever I think of you and your family. Real emotion is nothing to be ashamed of-just be you and like you said, let Jesus hold you. It's what people need to see most. Lots of love to you.

Andria
smw said…
sandra, thanks for your love and prayers. truly. they mean a ton.

thanks, sarah. :)

jenny, thanks so much for your sweet offer of help and prayers. very touching. :) it isn't breast cancer, but truly, thank you.

thank em and ann. and thank you, thank you for the prayers.
teresa said…
Thank you, Shar, for sharing the perspective that's been placed on your heart. I love the image of Him carrying his child and providing the strength/courage for the journey ... and victory! The Lord fully understands each grief & struggle. May you rest in his arms moment-by-moment and keep HOPE in your heart.
Love you and praying for you!
Wee said…
Love this, Shar! Love you!
smw said…
Thanks for your encouragement, Teresa. And for the prayers!

Love you, too, Wee!
leah said…
Oh, I love you Shar - I so appreciate your authenticity to say it like it is, not always easy to do I imagine. Thankful that through it all you feel Him carrying you...and I agree w everyone...that last line is the best! :) Love & prayers...
-John and Amy said…
Shar, I JUST read about this yesterday. I'm reading walking with God through pain and suffering by Timothy Keller (awesome book by the way) and he had several statements I want to share about the principle of "weeping in suffering" that spoke to my heart.

"Early reformers created a culture in which the expression of doubts or complaints were frowned upon. Christians were taught not to weep or cry but to show God their faith through unflinching, joyful acceptance of his will." (this being a bad thing)

"God remain's God not because man puts on a happy face and controls all his emotions, but because of grace. God is patient and gracious with us -- he is present with us in all our mixed motives. Salvation is by grace."

praying for you!
laura said…
Shar - I read your blog from time to time to catch up on your sweet family. I had no idea you were going through this but will lift your name to our God. He will carry you through! Sending lots of love to you, J and the kiddos.
smw said…
Leah-love you, too! Thanks for the encouragement and prayers.
Amy-thanks for the prayers. It is nice to hear others address related thoughts. It seems like they are plenty prevalent still! 😜
Laura! So good to hear from you! I hope you are well!!

arlan and katie said…
You, Jaret & kids have been in our prayers.
Love you guys,
the Millers
arlan and katie said…
You, Jaret & the kids have been in our prayers.
Love, the Millers
Jon y Amy said…
Shar, I love you. I am praying for you and your sweet fam.
Love,
Amy
smw said…
Katie and Amy- thanks so much for the prayers. They are comforting!! Love you both!
T and M said…
Oh Shar, I love & appreciate you & admire what you've said here. Jesus is with you in this & always, & He knows your heart and loves what He knows! love & prayers-M
Christen Leigh said…
I think all of these feelings are so normal and understandable. I love reading your thoughts and always love the fact that I have an honest and real older sister--and if it helps at all, I know God is glorified simply in you being you. Love you!
smw said…
Mandy and Chris. You are both sweet. Lots of love to you!!
Mouseymom said…
Shar, Laura filled me in a few weeks ago. I am your weak friend who needed to see your writing. A few years ago when I was getting tested for all sorts of horrible things, I was a pitiful, pathetic mess, the complete opposite of the brave soldiers of God who stand in the face of sufferings with courage and faith as tall as mountains. So I hear ya, and may you continue to see the Truths that God is revealing to you in your "weakened" state. hugs, love and prayers, Tricia
smw said…
Aww, Tricia. I love and miss you!!

Popular Posts