Really good songs

I have always been a music person, and even so, I'm not very likely to click on a link to watch/listen to a song that someone posts on a blog, yet here I am going to post a few.  :)  I know there are many ways that people feel connected to God, be it nature, intense study, or quietness and contemplation.  While I can feel close to Him in a variety of ways, music has been the most consistent way I feel close to God.


I have always loved songs that have a good build in intensity or emotion, particularly when paired with really meaningful lyrics.  Both of these songs have that.  They are not necessarily new, but lately in life they are just really touching to me.


First is Andrew Peterson's 'No More Faith'.  You can hear it and read the all the lyrics here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3grZqVEHhao
I can relate to the honesty of these lyrics, such as: "I say faith is a burden, a weight to bear.  It's brave and bittersweet.  Hope is hard to hold to.  Lord, I believe, only help my unbelief."
And I reaffirm my commitment to Him again, that despite it being hard: "I will praise you Lord 'til your kingdom comes, and I will follow where you lead".
And then my heart cries along with the hope I DO hold to: "'til there's no more faith, no more hope.  I'll see Your face, and Lord, I'll know.  There's no more faith, no more hope.  I'll sing Your praise and let them go.  Cause only love, only Your love remains."


The second is "Holy (Wedding Day)" by The City Harmonic. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbEbGgfYhU4
This song is a mix of fairly simple/stark words and very powerful music that come together in a way that is really moving to me.  The music and visual imagery of the words somehow capture the longings that I feel from time to time in life for something that is always illusive. C.S. Lewis says it's the longing that shows that we were not meant for this world and were made for another. A longing for Heaven. Sometimes that longing is such an ache, but in this song, I almost get a taste of the fulfillment of that longing.
"Holy Holy is the Lord Almighty, who was and is and is to come."

Comments

Nichole said…
both great songs, I agree. loved reading your thoughts on them, too :)
leah said…
thanks for sharing - the songs & your heart. we LOVE AP over here so a big ditto to that first song. excited to check out the second one. :)
Christen Leigh said…
Hey a post--hoorah! :) Yes I totally have heard of the city harmonic--I also love that song. Something about it is incredibly moving. I always say music is my #1 way to connect with God, too--and sometimes not even through Christian songs, although obviously more easily through them. Thankful for music--great post. :)
Jacki said…
both songs talk about a day i am looking so forward to,my longing for it gets stronger as time goes on, and i realize (in small ways compared to how great God is)how much i love HIM!!
T and M said…
Enjoyed this! I remember trent & i being moved to tears together the 1st time we watched/listened to Wedding Day.

And here's my recommendation, although I'm usually behind the times on the music scene: I've been enjoying Josh Garrels---seems to help the housework get done a little quicker. Some favs that come to mind: "What Wondrous love is this", "YHWH", "All creatures"
smw said…
I will have to listen to those, Mandy!! I love his "Farther Along" song, but I haven't listened to a lot more of his stuff.

Popular Posts