New Drama to Behold-and not the performance type

The girls have been victim to some unfortunate circumstances of late. The first being their reaction to mosquito bites. Ever since Avi was young, she has had the tendency to swell up and get red and hot around mosquito bites. I'm using the term 'around' very loosely, since for example: two weeks ago she got bitten by one at her wrist and swelled almost from her elbow to her fingers. Apparently there's not a lot to do about it, and usually by teen years they are reacting less.

We didn't know that Faye reacted the same until one bit her on the forehead. Here is a front shot. Our own little Star Trek Klingon. From the side it was like she had half a lemon under her skin. It's a bit disconcerting to see your child so disfigured, but I'm happy to report that she looks like her normal self again.
This next picture is a little ironic and sad. Avi had slept with braids in her hair to get these waves and took a picture of them in the morning a few weeks ago. However, she's been begging for a haircut, and so finally on Memorial Day, I complied. The plan was a cut a little longer than shoulder length, with some longer layers and wider bangs. Let's just say that didn't happen.
I have done layers many times, but not ones that were supposed to start at a certain point (below her earlobes), and so I didn't know how to do it with the right technique. I decided to just cut a small top layer of hair to that length, and then layer the rest up to it. Unfortunately I cut WAY deeper than I intended, and suddenly my daughter had the look of a grown out mullet. I wish I would have had the presence of mind to take a picture at that point, but I was too panic stricken to think of that.

Avi asked to look at it, and I said, "No, it's not done." I scurried upstairs to call all the hairstylists I knew to see if any could help me fix her hair. Being Memorial Day, none could. In the mean time, Avi had gone to the bathroom to take a look at her new cut. She came out looking very shell shocked and wide eyed. She didn't cry, but it took some effort. She was very brave.

She also didn't talk for a good 20 minutes, and when she finally did, she said, "I look like a boy. I'm serious. There's a boy in my class who has his hair cut just like this. I guess I'll have to marry him now." :)

I assured her we were going to fix it, though I know that was hard to believe. Jaret walked in about then, and before he could see her I motioned to him not to say anything or respond to what he saw. He didn't get what I was saying, until he saw Avi. Being an amazing guy, he acted like there was nothing wrong, but he came over to me in the kitchen and said, "What are you trying to do?!!" Poor guy. Even if we are only getting trimmed, he's always nervous about our haircuts, and I suspect experiences like these are why.

I told him that, "Now is not the time to ask questions." And he went back outside to work. He came back in a few minutes later though and said to Avi, "You are going to look really cute. The middle of haircuts are always scary for me. Are they scary for you?"

"Yes."

"Well, you are going to look really cute."

What a guy. He gave hope for something that neither Avi nor I could really believe. He's the best.

So in the end, it looks like a cut that was meant to be, though I never would have chosen the length it had to be to not look like she had a shelf in her hair. She loves it now, and says she likes it better than her hair before. So all is not lost. :)

Comments

Sara Huber said…
Oh my word Shar, I'm so glad I read this...so funny! I love the way you tell the story and your descriptions of the haircut. Avi looks adorable! It's great she'll have a little cooler haircut for summer. :) Sara
Sandra said…
oh shar...I so wish I could have seen the middle stage hair cut:). I was laughing thru this story, but Im sure when you are in the moment of a "not so good trim" its just not funny. Avi's hair looks AMAZING!!! I LOVE IT!!
Poor kidos with those mosquito bites...doesn't look like much fun.
Your sweet mother offered to watch my kids on tuesday...I just love your mom!!
Leslie Ringger said…
agreed. the new cut looks so cute!
megs @ whadusay said…
Oh this made me laugh!!! Love how it turned out!
Jacki said…
Oh Shar, i laughed so hard when i read this!! Her hair really is cute. i wish i could have seen it midway, too (maybe not!).
Jon y Amy said…
Shar, I LOVE this story! I read it and laughed out loud. I then read it to Jon and we laughed and laughed. :)

She looks adorable!
Christen Leigh said…
Shar-- I'm glad you ended up posting this story!! :) It still makes me laugh.

Her hair looks good-- I never actually saw it down last weekend. Cute, cute! :)
Jacki said…
One of the really funny things is that she thought she had to marry the boy she looked like!!!
(does she even like him?---does this sound like some of your old fears, minus the hair part--thinking you might "have to" marry someone you didn't want to?!)

So funny!!
Ashley Baner said…
Tell Avia that I LOVE it! It matches her spunky personality! See you at Family Camp!!
teresa said…
Darling haircut for Avi.

I love the precious gift of hope her father gave her while she waited for her haircut to be completed.

You are a great storyteller!
Tami said…
hey, you're not supposed to tell that story ever again! :D oh, how i loved seeing you and rachel and jaret and your hilarious children!!! love you tons!!!

Popular Posts