In the Kitchen

I need to improve my photography skills to spice up this blog, but I made some cookies the other day due to desperation for some kind of satisfying baked good.  Unfortunately I'm on a horrible diet trying to heal the digestive issues that struck me last May.  I am gluten, dairy, and egg free at the moment. :( Ugh. I made some cookies from a cookbook by a girl with a gluten free, vegan bakery that has grown so much that they have gone to a third location to accommodate the business. I was also excited about it because she tries to use wholesome ingredients, not all of the processed stuff that is easy to find when you are gluten free (but doesn't feel real healthy to me).

So I made them and they looked good, felt good, and tasted awful.  I now know that I think garbanzo bean flour is disgusting.  (At least in a sweet treat.)  Trying not to be too distressed by the waste of materials, and I think I'm going to go for totally unhealthy, boxed gluten free treats next.  :)

In other thrilling news, Jaret bought me the kitchen 'gadget' of the century.  Or maybe of the entire industrialized era.  It's an Instant Pot, which probably most of you have heard of, but let me chat on awhile. We just got home today around 5, and my meal plan was for a boiled chicken with rice.  It would take approximately two hours to come together.  I resigned myself to supper at 7 (probably optimistic) and started filling the pan. Faye, my faithful helper said, "Why don't you use your Instant Pot." I stopped and thought about it and thought, "You're right! Why not?!!"

Supper will be ready in an hour.  This thing can make yogurt, be a slow cooker, a rice cooker, saute pan, warmer, steamer, and dun, dun dun dun!- a pressure cooker.  Three times this week I have stuck a chunk of meat in there with some liquid and seasonings, pressed a few buttons and had supper in 45 minutes. You can put dry beans in this thing and they will be soft and edible in somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes (including getting the cooker up to pressure and cooling it down to open up). There is no real knowledge needed (aside from reading the directions) to use it, and from all accounts, has pretty much no chance of exploding if you do something wrong like old fashioned pressure cookers.

When I first started reading about the Instant Pot, I got pretty excited, and it has not disappointed.  It is a little pricey, but makes supper so much more doable if you are tired or bad at getting things organized for your meals on time. Two things I seem to be lately. :)

Comments

Never heard of an Instant Pot, but I'm thinking this could work for me :) I'll have to check it out.

SUCH a bummer about the cookies. If they are the same ones you posted on Insta, they really did look good!
smw said…
They were the same ones. Thanks. :)

You should seriously read about the Instant Pot. I can't get over it!!! :)
sandra said…
Never heard of instant pot either!!! Can you can in it??? Gonna check it out. Sorry the cookies were a no go:(. Are you trying to heal your gut with all these "no" food items? Was with your mom and dad on Thursday. Asked them about how you were doing. Are you doing paleo? Don't now much about it and perhaps paleo isn't even close to no dairy, gluten, egg. Think of you often. Sure hope you can feel normal soon. Love you!!
smw said…
Thanks, dear girl. :) I love you, too!

I'm not sure about the canning...? I have't read anything about it.

It's not paleo-just removing things that a blood test showed were affecting me... Also adding in supplements and supposedly healing foods.
leah said…
That is SO sad about the cookies :( but this new pot sounds amazing!
T and M said…
I've never heard of An instant pot but sounds quite promising! Especially for last minute dinners. Sigh on the untasty cookies....it never seems right to spend lots of time and expensive ingreds on things that don't taste good. Grrr
Jon y Amy said…
Hey, very intrigued about the instant pot. I am going to look it up! sorry about the cookies and I wish I had a recipe to share with you but I've got nothing. Keep trying and let me know if you get a good one!
emilykate said…
Yeah these are definitely all the rage! So far they haven't seemed like my thing, but you have peeked my curiosity!
smw said…
Mandy-I bet at your stage in life the Instant Pot would be a life saver! Agreed on the wasted money!!

Will do, Amy! :)

Em, I don't know how into it I would have been years ago, but at this stage, it is a dream in practicality. :)
smw said…
Leah-it is! I'm going to post more about it's wonders. ;)
Rebekah said…
I've been wanting a pressure cooker...if I already have a rice cooker, do you think it's worth getting this or just a plain pressure cooker?

Also, how was the chicken and rice?! :)

Boo on the cookies:(when you can eat eggs, let me know and I will send you some good recipes...at least good when you can't eat really good stuff ;)

Love you.

Popular Posts