Full Cicada Moon-A Bullet Point Book Review

I began listening to the podcast "What Should I Read Next" sometime in the last month or two. It is one of the two podcasts that I enjoy (though I'm anxiously awaiting my cousin Tami's, which I am sure will be smashing). It is fascinating to hear people's preferences and what makes them enjoy/not enjoy a book. Based on those things, I have a much better idea of books that might truly be a fit for me versus just browsing the library and hoping for the best. It's a really fun podcast.

But anyway, this is a book review, not a podcast review, so here I go!

I got the idea to read this book from the podcast, though I can't remember what was said about it that made me want to read it it. Here are the things that I loved about it:
  • Quick read-very short chapters and streamlined use of language (read: not wordy, unlike yours truly)
  • Story conveyed a quiet sense of hope in the face of many difficulties 
  • Seeing cultural elements and currents events of the late 60's come alive in story form
  • The strength and determination of the main character was inspiring
  • The story grabbed my attention right away and held it all the way through
  • It ends well
Summary:
  • Genre: Realistic fiction 
  • Main character: Mimi, a half-black, half-Japanese junior high student
  • Setting: Vermont, 1969
  • Plot: Mimi works to find her place after a move from California to Vermont, at a time and place where her dreams and identity are not quickly embraced.
  • Themes: Moving, loneliness, civil disobedience, persistence, family, friendship, moon landing/outer space
Cautions/age recommendation:
  • I encouraged my 9 year old to read this book. Some words may be tricky for her to decode, but she will be able to read and understand a good share of it. There was no swearing and no inclusion or discussion of anything 'adult-ish'.
If it sounds interesting and you have 10 minutes, give it a try! I told my kids to read the first 5 chapters, and if they weren't interested enough to finish, they could put it down. I think I was hooked from the first chapter or two, so I assume if someone gets to chapter five and isn't enjoying it, it's probably not a fit.

Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts