Curious

I put a poll on the side of the blog because I'm thinking about cutting back on my sweets, and when I make choices like that, I always want to know what is normal across the board. If there is such a thing as normal.  :)

I tend to be all or nothing, but I wish I could be in between. Like eat a sweet here and there for a little celebration or enjoyment, but not end up making every day, multiple times a day a chance to have fun and eat sweets.

In the past couple years, I have not felt like eating sweets much at all. Combined with a strict diet to try to heal my gut issues, and it just hasn't really been much of a struggle. But it is feeling harder right now, and I don't think I am feeling better for eating more of them. :(

So, I know that not everyone feels casual discussing their eating habits, but if any of you have insights into how you think about/don't think about sweets, if you notice a difference in how you feel when you eat them/don't eat them, if you have general rules for yourself, what you keep on hand for something sweet if you try to keep refined sugar to a minimum, etc., please comment below! And even if you don't have comments, please take the poll! :)

Also, as a happy little follow up on some of my previous posts, the aunt whom I mentioned had been diagnosed with cancer again a few months ago is doing really well. She had surgery, and it looks like she will not need any further treatment. Just have to share praises as they come!

Comments

emilykate said…
The older I get the more I notice foods that make me feel poorly. Unfortunately a lot of times they are foods I really enjoy...like cereal or pizza. Combining gluten and dairy doesn't usually bode well for me. Anyway, sugar....always something I know I'm having too much of. Like you, I tend to be all or nothing. Why is moderation in this area so hard?! I try to do a sugar detox every few months to kind of reset and curb my cravings.
smw said…
Thanks for these thoughts, Em. It's interesting to hear other people's experiences. What kind of detox do you do?
emilykate said…
Usually just cold turkey...no refined sugar whatsoever for a week straight.
smw said…
Thanks! Good to know!
I am an ALL or NOTHING type, but def feel better when I'm not eating sugar!!
Unknown said…
I've found that sugar not only leaves me feeling tired, but also very depressed. It can be short (i eat ice cream in the evening and that night i can't sleep from sugar but also am very discouraged/fearful while lying awake) or long term if i'm eating sugary things daily. If things have some fat in them, the effect isn't so bad. But i gave up candy for a full year and i noticed a HUGE difference in my outlook on life. Sugar poisons my brain and my "glass half full" meter. I try to remember when i'm reaching for Twizzlers that it is not only going to hurt me physically, but mentally too.

Heidi Edelman
smw said…
Very interesting. Thanks so much for sharing!! I said for years that I have to have fat with my sugar, otherwise I would feel awful pretty much immediately.
T and M said…
It looks like I'm too late to try the poll, which is too bad, because i love polls and analyzing. Were you ever into those quizzes in magazines?
I try to just have a little bit, because the more I have the more I want. One thing I do is just stick sweets in the freezer, even sometimes candy. Putting it that much more out of reach helps me not to eat some every time I walk by the candy cupboard in our kitchen. Which, frankly, could be quite a few times in the day. ( :
Probably since I've had kids, I really can't have a lot without starting to struggle with negative thoughts so it has to be kinda moderate for me. The other day (after and probably because of lot of sugar) one of my kids said "I just feel like no one is being nice or caring about me today". I totally get that!
smw said…
I loved magazine quizzes!!! And I loved hearing your experiences with sweets. I'm realizing more and more how much life is such a journey and possibly in nothing do we ever "arrive". I do think we progress, but things are often so changing and there are so many factors that can affect where we are. I'm trying to focus on the positives of that reality-like it can breed hopefulness, flexibility, persistence and an atmosphere of second (and third and fourth) chances. All stuff that I think is pretty valuable. :)

Popular Posts