Loving

I've been listening to an album called "River House" by Taylor Leonhardt quite a bit lately. I typically prefer music with more intensity, but these songs make me feel like a little kid held in my mom's arms as she sings lullabies of incredible truth over me.

Here's a little sampling of some of the lyrics:

This first song was introduced to me as a song that would be good to fall asleep to. Words to consider and rest in at the end of a day. Musically, deeply relaxing.

From the song "Lay My Head Down"
~You've got a cure for all my striving. Your goodness, your mercy, they always find me. When it comes to You, I don't have anything to prove. You make me rest. You make me lay my head down.

The second is called "Would You Be Well". She wrote it for a family member who had struggled significantly with mental health issues. The heart she has for them, her desires and the invitation she presents in this song puts words to the tender call from God that I'm becoming more aware of these days.
~Would you be held safe in the solace of a kinder and deeper love? I'll hold you tonight. Would you be seen for all that you really are? Come let your weary heart lay in the light.

And lastly, my absolute favorite on the album, "Surprising Me". While I haven't had the exact thoughts she shares, as far as struggles go, I can definitely relate to the sentiments she is expressing. And most gloriously-I am experiencing the overwhelming joy she sings about in being surprised by God.
~I used to worry You'd want the perfect words. Into the thinnest air I said my prayers. I hoped you heard. But you're surprising me. The way your quiet feels. You put your hand against my anxious lips and make me still. And make me still. And You're surprising me. This joy I never knew. I cannot hold it back; this river that I fell into. I cannot hold it back this river that is loving you. Is loving you.


Comments

leah said…
thanks for sharing - i've been meaning to listen to this album after you mentioned it last time we were together! gonna give it a listen. love the life and peace and comfort music can bring to our souls.

Popular Posts