What's wrong with people?

This morning one of my neighbors informed me that someone from our neighborhood called Child Protective Services about them. Apparently yesterday his wife wasn't able to get home in time to meet her kids at the bus stop, and so she called her next door neighbor, who often babysits her children, and asked that she watch the kids. When the children arrived home and found their door locked, they dumped their backpacks in the yard and checked in with the babysitter. Then they played outside with their friends until their mom got home.

Later that evening a Child Protection Agent came knocking on their door. He talked to at least two of the children, checked the house for food and beds, and only they know what else. The family is now under surveillance for 6 months.

Am I'm crazy to be dumbfounded and frightened by this? We learned that Child Protection doesn't require that persons making reports leave any identification. What is to stop someone with a grudge from making more calls, and at what point would the children be taken out of their home?

After my neighbor finished giving me the details, I asked if he had any idea who reported them. (I thought it would be nice to know who makes unfounded calls to the CPS.) He told me that he suspected a couple who responded to his account by saying, "Probably just someone looking out for your kids."

WHAT?!!! Looking out for their kids? I have no doubt that the visit from CPS was more traumatizing to them than coming home and realizing that their mom wasn't there. Wouldn't someone who was truly concerned offer the children a safe place until their parents got home? How about checking to make sure the parents were alright? Shouldn't it be clear that calling CPS is only to be done when a situation is serious; perhaps when the parents are purposefully harming their children? What (may I repeat) is wrong with people?!

Comments

megs @ whadusay said…
Shar, I completely, completely agree. People who immediately call CPS instead of trying to actually help or see what the situation REALLY is, drive me nuts (a friend of mine had a similar experience).

It would be one thing if your neighbor tried to help and then called CPS, but to just make a phone call without doing anything else is completely ridiculous.

Sounds like he really had the child's best interest at heart huh!
Rebekah said…
I Can't STAND people who do this kind of thing! If they were really concerned about the kids, it would have been better for them to approach the family themselves and ask about the mom not being there! I feel like it's such a cowardly act and I can't stand the overdramatic nature of it all.

I had a family member go through this same thing and it's extremely traumatic...especially because it was instigated by something extremely trite!

it's really scarry these days because you never know who will call you in and for what reason!
aklopfen said…
Hi Shar-
Reading your story just upsets me that people are like that! I totally agree with you...I can't believe someone would do that...yes I guess I can but it's so sad that they didn't care much or think about what would be best.

Popular Posts