Fall is here

After several weeks of gloomy weather, we've been greatly enjoying the sun. I'm making sure that I get outside with the kids and often take a walk at night before it gets too dark. Trying to soak up this nice weather while it lasts.

After our first frost a couple of days ago, I decided that we'd 'winterize' the garden. Which basically meant that we'd cut down dead plants, pull out everything that was overgrown and leave a nice flat rectangle of earth in the back yard. It was lots of fun. The older I get, the more I enjoy being outside; if i can just remember this enough to get out there. :)

The lady bugs that we found were the hit of the morning for Faye and Smith. Smith was very cautiously trying to pick them up while Faye kept barging in and just grabbing them. It was very funny to me; very frustrating to him. Such a display of their personalities.






These last two pictures are evidence to a new weekly activity I'm hoping to embrace. It's called decorating. I've never been good at doing these kinds of unnecessary tasks. If I get done with projects like laundry, dishes, and supper, I would usually read, blog, etc. But I really would like to have a cozy, welcoming house, which requires some effort.

I've been getting these awesome emails from Better Homes and Gardens that give all kinds of ideas with pictures. Many are quick or budget friendly, since practical me doesn't want to spend a bunch of money (or time) on non-essential things like decorations. So the above is a picture of an idea that they gave in my most recent email. It was exciting because it's getting too cold for my geraniums, and so this arrangement took it's place on our front porch. Nothing earth shattering, but much more than I ever would have done before. Fun!

Comments

Jacki said…
very cute and fun!
teresa said…
shar, i like your fall decorating. also how cute that personality differences show up with ladybugs. =)

also, hi to jacki, you have a very sweet family. i was in school with trish a few(grin) years back.

teresa
Jacki said…
Teresa-would you mind saying your last name? (what it was?) Were you a Rassi? I wondered how you know our family? (Sharlin?) it was great to hear from you, just wondered if i know you? :-). if you'd rather answer to me, my email is jacki@urhere.net. :-)
T and M said…
shar- I noticed your front porch decoration when I dropped the camera off. Looks good ( :
Christen Leigh said…
Aw how fun and cute! I love Faye's little squeels and Smith's little comments. :) Excited to see you all this weekend!!
Jacki said…
it's pretty funny how Smith says, "it's good that Faye can't see it" (about the bug), the second she picks it up :-)

Popular Posts