Frog

To start this little story, I will have to tell you that Faye is CRAZY about a little show called "Kipper". It is a very slow show. Not much moving on the screen and very simple pictures-perfect for a one year old. From my end, I think it is really quite adorable and funny; slow cartoon dogs with English accents. It has made her talk about dogs all the time. But for the longest time she would say "duck", instead of dog. There is also a frog in the song at the beginning, and so begins our story.

One evening I went out with Rach, and when I came back Jaret said, "Are you aware of our child's new vocabulary?" (There was much amusement and a tiny smidge of panic in the question.) Apparently our little Faye spent the evening saying a certain swear word over and over. Jaret couldn't figure out for the life of him what she was saying. Which was unfortunate because he was racking his brain so he could redirect her or encourage a correct pronunciation of whatever it was she was meaning. I told him I didn't know what it was, either. And so we went to bed, amused at the adventures that children bring to our lives.

The next day I was up in Faye's room putting something away and she was crouched down looking at a book when suddenly she popped up (with great vigor and happiness) and said, "FOCK!". Obviously this is what she had been saying to Jaret. There really is something very shocking about hearing things like that exploding out of your child's mouth, but I had to laugh. Especially since it was said with her usual cheery spunk.

Somehow between Smith and I we figured out she was saying frog. Which makes sense since she had been saying 'duck' for dog, and her "r's" aren't the clearest yet. We have tried hard to get a correct pronunciation, and for the most part, she is doing better. But just the other day she reverted again, so if you hear our child saying shocking words, rest assured she's just thinking of her favorite show.

Comments

Jacki said…
Oh My!! i will know, when i babysit this weekend, what "frog" sounds like :-)
Sandra said…
Oh my is right....at least you got it figured out. Oh those innocent minds:)
Rebekah said…
so funny Shar! It reminded me of when it was either Josh or Darci would always ask for suckers with an "f" in place of the "s". It was worse because they were older...just not real good at pronouncing yet!!
Christen Leigh said…
My my! I guess visits to the Wieland household will now be rated PG-13! :)

I am home with the kiddos right now-- in fact, I am about to go carve pumpkins with them at Steph's. I wish I could have seen you last night! Love ya.
megs @ whadusay said…
Funny, funny, funny! I love the way you described Jaret as he told you amused with a hint of panic!

Looking forward to being with you guys in a couple weeks!
T and M said…
that is very funny. kids do bring adventure to our lives ( :
Nichole said…
owen had the same issue except it was truck - drop the 'tr' replace with an 'f' Unfortunate when we would be asking for his truck in the middle of church...
Carmen O. said…
this is so funny. for the longest time spencer was stuck on th "sh" word and i had to do some major convincing that it was pronounced "shoot" instead.
Wee said…
So cute! I just love you, Faye!
Leslie Ringger said…
that's so funny! i can just see her expression and everything. too cute :)

Popular Posts