The Lovely Lemon

Lately I have been basking in the wonder of fresh lemon.  It's such a simple thing, who would have thought it could make such a difference?  A bottle of lemon juice always seemed much more convenient, but after a meal that was less than wonderful that I used the bottled stuff for instead of the fresh (spilled by small helping hands), I began to experiment some. 

Now the meal that I substituted bottled lemon juice was, in all fairness, a meal with 'lemon' in the title, so clearly the difference would be most noticed there.  It had a somewhat strong, heavy, slightly harsh flavor, instead of a light, citrusy fresh flavor that the fresh squeezed would have given it.  It was fine, but not something I would have made again.

So since then I've used fresh squeezed lemon juice in these things:
  • Soup, squeezed in at the end.  I read that it intensifies the flavors and added depth, which it truly did!!  You didn't taste citrus, just a brighter flavor all around.
  • Salads.  This did give it a citrusy flavor, and made the other flavors deeper and more distinct as well.
  • Smashed avocado.  The easiest guac ever.  Avocado, fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper.  YUM!
I've decided that it takes precious little time to use fresh lemon juice for such a big return.  At least that's how I feel now that summer is here, and I have more time on my hands.  We'll see how fresh lemons fare here next fall when I'm teaching again.  :)

Comments

hmmm...i really like these ideas! yum!!
Rebekah said…
I LOVE fresh lemons too! No comparison to the bottled stuff!! I have a really yummy cookie recipe that uses the lemon juice and fresh lemon zest I could send you if you're interested!

Thanks for the yummy suggestions!

Love ya!
T and M said…
i've never tried lemons with soup-what a great idea ( :
smw said…
rebekah,
send the recipe my way. :) i'd love it!
love you too!
Christen Leigh said…
Mm sounds like a great idea in soup!
Jacki said…
I love you, Shar--"basking in the wonder of fresh lemon" sounds so like you. i don't think i could have come up with that, but you do make it sound inviting :-)
smw said…
mom, you're sweet. and i guess it must be me, because of course i thought nothing of it as i typed it, but i do sound like rather dramatic quack, don't it? :)
Jacki said…
No, i wouldn't call you that, just an expressive fun girl! (do you like to be called a girl?)
smw said…
:) and that was supposed to say, "don't i".

Popular Posts