A Practical Hobby

I read this phrase today, and it perfectly describes what it is that I'm sort of always yearning for.  I touched on it awhile back with the "Things I don't do" posts.  I had written about how I thought a school librarian sounded like a fun fit for my interests but didn't fit my lifestyle in the hours required. Now this is truly a premature post, because I haven't started in any way, but I think I may have hit on 'my thing'.

I've tried to describe to Jaret how I want to do something that sounds fun, but is purposeful, too.  If it's just fun, being my personality, it just won't hardly ever happen.  If it's just all purposeful, it will drain me (especially since I tend to think purposefully about all the tasks I'm doing every day anyway.) 

So. The what: I seem to be developing increasingly sensitive skin (and several in our family have felt sensitive to different products).  I've been researching products to replace liquid dish detergent because my hands burn and chap every time I use it.  I sort of settled on trying bar soap, but was researching the most gentle bar soaps.  Homemade soap came up in a lot of my searching, and I learned a lot of about how/why homemade soaps can be different from mass produced soaps. 

Suddenly it hit me that it could be REALLY fun to make soap.  If it helps my skin issues, I will have a never ending need for it, and it is a hobby that easily lends itself to being creative as well. FUN and PURPOSEFUL!!! It was one of those moments that felt like a gift from God and some spontaneous praise has followed.  :)

Planning to sign up for a soap making class June 29th.  I guess I'll know more then if I actually want to continue pursuing.

Comments

great post!

keep us up to date on this hobby as it develops!
T and M said…
soap making is something I've always wanted to do! I tried it once with a friend, and it WAS really fun, and seemed kind of limitless all the different stuff you could make. So, I'm excited to see what you do with this interest! very cool.
megs @ whadusay said…
very cool!! that sounds like you. :)
Linda said…
This is great! Grandma Neihouser used to make soap (the plain, old-fashined kind) and I remember someone in the family liked using it for bathing because of skin problems. Now, the possibilities are probably endless...and with your creative mind, this should be fun!!
leah said…
this is so fun! i love it -- hope this is truly 'your thing'!

keep us posted!!
Jacki said…
Neat-sounds like something i would enjoy buying from you :-)
emilykate said…
So cool! I love homemade soap!
Christen Leigh said…
Yay!! What a fun idea. :)
Jacki said…
P.S. I like 1 Thess. 4:11 too!!
L, Ann and boys said…
The homemade soap I've encountered (not made myself) is amazing and smells ten times better than store boughten. Best wishes with the class! :)
smw said…
fun to read all of your encouraging words. and for those of you who expressed interests, maybe some day i WILL sell it. time will tell! :)

Popular Posts