Memoirs

I'm finding I enjoy memoirs. I have read two in the past 6-12 months. Both of them were written by people who have gone through major loss. I was drawn to them both because, despite their dark trials, they still speak of things like hope and laughter.

The first "Hope Heals" by Katherine and Jay Wolf.


This is the story of a woman who suffered a massive brain stem stroke in the prime of life. Her recovery process took years and will never be complete, but the evidence of God's sustaining presence in their lives is incredible. You can read more here.

The second one was recommended by the woman above. It was called "and Still She Laughs" by Kate Merrick.


It was written by a mom whose young daughter died after a three year battle with cancer. The book is a look into how she worked through grief and the journey that lead her to laughter and joy again.

Both books had me weeping off and on all the way through. Maybe that's just because of my own experiences, but that's a warning, in case you don't love emotional reads. If you have experienced pain that you wonder how you will ever really 'recover' from, I think there is a lot of hope in both. And if you just enjoy a good memoir, you'll find that, too!



Comments

emilykate said…
I've wanted to read hope heals...I heard Kate Merrick speak on the Happy Hour and it was so, so good.
T and M said…
These are both on my list so I'm glad you enjoyed them!
Ti recommended Hope Heals after meeting them in person last year, and she said they are authentically encouraging and real about suffering and loss. I think thats a hard balance sometimes!
smw said…
I agree. It's a very hard balance. And I think they do it very well.
I think I heard both of these authors interviewed on podcasts. SO inspiring. I can imagine they spoke to you too! And I love memoirs too. Thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts