Joy

Have you ever heard joy discussed in a way that made you want to run as far away from it as possible? In a way that almost gives you the impression that if you have joy it means your life will be horror from then on? Yeah? Me, too. Honestly, joy has sounded like something I want to avoid. It's like it's joy that's not.

In many ways I'm a very practical person. If something doesn't produce evidence in life, I will deeply contest it's validity. So when I think of joy, I believe it is real, and I don't believe it's actually pain. So what does it look like?

There are a lot of verses in the Bible that paint contrasts to joy. Some contrasts are weeping (Psalm 30:5), sorrow (John 16:22), gloom (James 4:9), and mourning (Isaiah 61:3). There are other places that talk about joy in conjunction with gaggy things, like a complete failure in livelihood (Habakkuk 3:17&18) and sorrow (2 Corinthians 6:10). A few places talk about joy becoming complete or full (John 16:24 and John 15:11). And one theme that arises more than all the others: rejoicing or joy in God (Isaiah 61:10, Philippians 4:4, Habakkuk 3:18).

Like so many things in life, it seems it's a "yes, and" situation. Joy is seen in happiness and in sorrow, like when our children are walking in truth (3 John 1:4) and when we ask and receive (John 16:22), but also in bad, like in Habbukuk. The Bible talks about how it comes as we trust, obey, and are thankful, and it is a manifestation of the Holy Spirit in our lives (Galations 5:22).

I believe there is hope for good in this life-the kind we think of as good. In fact, there are some awesome results of joy mentioned in 2 Corinthians 8:1&2 and Romans 15:3: generosity and hope. We serve a God we can rejoice in. One who heals. One who saves. One who will never leave us. One who didn't spare his own son, but offered Him as a sacrifice for us. One who's heart is to give us richly all things to enjoy.

And yet, sometimes we can't see the good, and we are battling for joy. But guess what I found? Jesus did not experience joy complete on this earth, either. The ultimate, certain good, the ultimate, joy, was still ahead for Him (Hebrews 12:1-2). And it's ahead for all of us who love Him, too!

Comments

T and M said…
Much of this makes sense to me...if Joy is a person then heaven will be the ultimate fulfillment of pure joy as we are face to face with Jesus.
I loved the book "Choose Joy" by Kay Warren. Partly for her illustrations re joy, and partly the study of joy in scriptures.
xoxo M
smw said…
Thanks for sharing these thoughts. And for the book recommendation!
enjoyed your thoughts, thanks for sharing.

(I have a book recommendation too -- I'll text it to you :))
T and M said…
Sarah, I'm glad you commented, bc it reminded me that I had wanted to come back and add an addendum to my initial comment. I did an inward cringe over the book title I recommended because even though I loved the book, Shar, the last thing I want is for you to
feel like it is completely up to you to make the choice to be more joyful and if only you were, life would be so much less troubled...hopefully you know that is not what I'm saying or thinking! ( :
Just wanted to clarify. Love you!
smw said…
i hadn't looked into it yet, Mandy, and hadn't thought that at all. :) but i understand saying something and then wondering after that if it came out opposite of what i meant.

Popular Posts