GERD, GERD, the horrible word

I'm sad to say the "I love my life" sentiments were short lived. Not that I'm saying I hate it, but the enjoyable feeling left shortly after posting last.

Little Faye has been having tremendous problems eating. All last week was pretty stressful, but by Saturday I was just going crazy because I could not understand why my hungry baby would not eat!!! I finally found a place online that had a list of problems under the heading "feeding aversion". Faye had all but one or two-and even those were kind of true. It said to get it checked out because it could be GERD. (gastroesophageal reflux disease). When I looked into it, it explained things that she's experienced for most of her little life.

Honestly it is very, very difficult. I struggle with feeling depressed because I know my little trouper is hungry and doesn't want to eat because it hurts. I also now realize her growling and stuffing her fingers back in her throat and gagging, dry cough, etc. are all because of the pain in the esophagus. We have her on a formula that is as broken down as you can get (I believe) because we know she has issues with milk (common in GERD babies) and soy. We try to keep her upright as much as possible, and have her on a generic form of Zantac.

So far, there hasn't been much in the way of improvement. She eats better in the morning. I think because her body has had a rest for several hours through the night, and she's very hungry. But she gets progressively worse as the day goes on, so I'm VERY thankful to see Jaret come walking through the door. He seems to be able to get her to eat when I can't, and she actually reached for him a couple of times today and cried when he left the room.

Anyway, we are praying that we will be able to find the medicine that is needed to help her to be able to eat without pain, and that we will have wisdom and direction, as there are many choices and a lot of possibilities. Any of you who want to add your prayers will be much appreciated.

Comments

Christen Leigh said…
Aw Shar, I am praying! That sounds so hard! It does explain the never ending crying that took place the night I babysat and tried to feed her, though...... poor little Faye!!
Pam said…
Shar, Elliot had very bad GERD a few years ago - was on medicine daily. He started drinking goat milk and eating cultured food (sauerkraut) and the GERD improved the first day. He stopped taking medication within a few days and has never needed it since. I know you can't give Faye sauerkraut, but I wonder if goat milk would help. People with cow's milk sensitivity can normally drink goat's milk without any trouble. Something about the composition of goat milk is healing to GERD. Might be worth a try. Also, if you can find any goat yogurt, you'd be getting the cultured part as well and Faye might be able to swallow some of that.

Love you, Honey and am praying for you. Aunt Pam
megs @ whadusay said…
Definately praying. Poor Faye and poor Shar!!!
Christen Leigh said…
ok not to take away the seriousness of this post, but I have been checking your blog some in hopes of a new post... you know.... your "seven interesting facts" or something..... and the title always reminds me of the "beans beans the magical fruit" song! I will leave it at that b/c Mom will be emberassed of me if I elaborate any further.......

I really do miss you, I do! How is the gerd going these days!? I get to see you in a week 1/2 wahooo!!!

Popular Posts