Bear One Another's Burdens...

I'm finding that this is difficult to do. Difficult because I am often unaware of the burdens of those around me.

It seems that there is a lack of opening up about things that are burdening us. Because of this, it is easy to start feeling very isolated when we are in a trying time, since it can often seem as though everyone around us has no cares at all. I've also noticed that in many cases, we will find out that someone near us could really have used some support during a difficult time, yet we were of no assistance because we were unaware.

I've pondered a lot what is behind this lack of sharing. I know I can hesitate to share at times for fear of being perceived as a negative person. Sometimes I get the feeling that sharing my struggles is seen as being ungrateful. In the midst of hard times, I can't bear potential condemnation for not acting hunky dory. I suspect that these are some of the reasons that others hesitate, as well.

It seems that Christianity and positive thinking have gotten mixed into a lump together. In many ways, being upbeat and being godly are viewed synonymously. This strikes me as a problem. Because while we have genuine reasons to be thankful, we also live in a fallen world that is full of pain.

It seems that positive thinking generally produces a superficial fix. It doesn't allow us to look deeply. Instead it pushes us to move on and look cheery. Yet, many of the things we face in adulthood (and even childhood) are not things that are easily worked through or things that pass quickly. In times like these, we need more than to put on a happy face.

If we share our burdens with one another instead of trying to keep a positive front, much will be gained. We will give and receive sympathy and support during our trials. As we open up to one another, needs will become obvious, and we will then be able to offer ourselves in service. We will be serving our purpose as the body of Christ.

And ironically, in the end, sharing our hard times will become a thing that is truly positive. Positive because we wept together instead of alone. Positive because we gave more of ourselves. Positive because we will learn to bear long. Positive because when the trial is over, there will be a host of people to rejoice. Positive because the happiness and thankfulness that comes from weathering a storm together will be GENUINE.

Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Comments

hubergal said…
Dear Sharlin, I have learned that most people appreciate Real People, rather than the person who is always saying the right thing, at the right time, with the right face.

If we are willing to humble ourselves and share our sorrows and pain, and ask for prayer, others know that they can come to us at those times in their life, and do the same. When we pray for one another, our love for each other grows and we are drawn together in love through the workings of the spirit. this has been my experience and I share it with you. I agree with you entirely - we really do need be honest and share one another's burdens...and some of us have to be the first one to share the burden - to build the foundation of trust for the other hurting person. Agreed? Love you bunches, A. Cindy
Janell said…
I love it Shar. So true. Great to see you this weekend. See you again on Sunday!
Rebekah said…
what a great post Shar.

I definitely struggle with sharing my burdens with people unless they are extremely close friends. I think it probably is my pride that holds me back...and the feeling of not wanting to bring them down. I know exactly how you feel about sometimes feeling like a depressing person...another reason I tend to keep my troubles to myself. (I guess that's another pride issue)

Thank you for sharing. You had great thoughts and it was convicting.

Love you so much! and SOOOO bumbed that you won't be at Christmas this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Nichole said…
Thank you for the insightful post, Shar. It was ceratinly something that I needed to read. :)
Nichole
megs @ whadusay said…
great post shar. I think a lot of times it seems easier to "go it alone" than take a risk and be vulnerable because you just don't know how people will react or who they will talk to.

I love how you pointed out that when we do share, it gives us a reason to rejoice with the other person.
Christen Leigh said…
Good points.... glad you posted. :)

So have you noticed that we really haven't been emailing? I will assume that, on your part, it is because you are doing so wonderfully that you no longer need to. I'd also say it's safe to assume that my reasons for not emailing are quite the opposite. :)
Christen Leigh said…
I just realized that my comment makes it sound like I am not doing wonderfully in life in general, which is obviously not the case. I meant for my pathetic part in our accountability. :)

I am excited for this weekend! Horrah! Foozah!
Daish said…
And once again, Sharlin Michelle, you put perfectly in words the mess of thoughts in my head. What would I do without you to bring clarity so many times to what I feel. You are so good with words:) I did love this. I read it to Stu and he said, "Can I post and say, 'What do you mean? I'm doing great!" Love ya!
Jami said…
Amen and amen. Thanks for this Shar!
Tami said…
i loved the post, shar. it seems that satan always tries to deter us from the very thing that brings us together. i've learned so so many times over that people tend to connect quicker and on a deeper level through the difficult times in life than if everything were going right.
you're such an easy person to talk to and love...thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts