Fashion Prediction

There have been several times in my life where I start wishing I could find 'so and so' piece of clothing. I have some fun vision for my wardrobe and can't find it for the life of me. But usually within a couple of years, the item I'd thought of starts popping up.

In high school I thought fashion design would be a ton of fun, and with my jump on the industry a couple of times, I've thought I probably wouldn't have been too bad at it.

There are several examples, but my mind is blanking on all but a more recent one. I started dreaming of having some simple cottony, flowery dresses to wear more casually. The knee length type that they wore in the 40's. Next season they were everywhere. (This was a couple years ago.)

So the other day, I got an image of long split skirts. Now this could sound really ugly, but hear me out. They would be to the ankle or just and inch or two off the floor. They would be fitted in the waist-no pleats or poofs to make us look fat-and then either a few inches below the waist or at the hips they would start to 'flare' out. I envision the fabric probably being somewhat thin, but definitely flowing, so that when you move, you get an elegant feel.

It seems possible that the waist could be higher than has been typical in recent years. That would create a larger fitted area in the piece, which would offset the more billowy bottom. But it wouldn't have to be.

Anyway, with this idea popping into my head, and my past track record, keep it in mind, and we'll see if a similar item appears on the shelves in the next couple of years. :)

Comments

L, Ann and boys said…
hmmmmm...I'm suprised Free People or someone hasn't made this piece for you already...it sounds really comfy and very pretty at the same time. I just looked at their last catalog though and it didn't have that many clothing items for some reason...a lot of seemingly underclothes peieces...or were those supposed to be clothes. =o) I'll think of you if I ever find this item as described.

Ann
Jami said…
I think you need to start making money on these ideas!! :)
Christen Leigh said…
ooooh sounds like divinity!

Hey, I realized that I never really talked to you since last Wed. That was super fun! Em and I both enjoyed it alot.... you guys are...... da bomb...s......

:) Love ya!!
hubergal said…
chris, i thought it was great, too. thanks for getting it together.
Oh Shar, I am so opposite from you. Not that I don't like the new styles that come out, but it takes me a year till I buy it for myself and am willing to wear it! We'll say your taste is about 3 years ahead of mine. I do always enjoy seeing new styles on you and Rach!
Nichole said…
if i had money, i would make you my personal shopper :)
Wee said…
You did a lovely job of putting your image into words. Sounds very elegant, and I'm all for the "more fitted area." How would this style look on those of shorter stature?
smw said…
hmmm. wee, never thought about the small of stature, thing. i'm afraid it might not be the best. :(
~shar

Popular Posts