Here, Oh Lord

Tonight I was driving in the car with the kids for a little and was listening to an old cd.  There was a song on it that had never struck me in the way that it did tonight.

It starts off with a man singing, representing God speaking.  Here are the words:

Heaven is my throne and earth is my footstool.  Where is the house you will build for me?  Whom of you will hear the cry of my heart?  Where will my resting place be? 

Then a woman cries back, "Here, Oh Lord, have I prepared for you a home.  Long have I desired for you to dwell.  Here, Oh Lord, have I prepared a resting place.  Here, Oh Lord, I wait for you alone."

I've always loved the music to this song, but never payed a lot of attention to the words as a whole.  So realizing that it starts with God calling out, and then a response from His child was so touching to me.  And the woman responding was singing back with her whole heart.  It took me back to the days long gone.  When I was single and free of most responsibility, so much of life was consumed with purposefully seeking God.  

I look back to those days with a mix of thoughts.  Some longing for those times again.  Some knowing that I'm not serving Him less now; just differently.  Some realizing that some of the constant searching and striving then was a lack of resting in Him.  

But all in all, tonight I was overwhelmed with the desire to offer a conscrated heart to the Lord.  One that is purposefully prepared for Him.  One that I am striving to keep pure for Him, though the fraility of my humaness is more real to me than it ever was in those days of innocent passion for Him.

And realizing that frailty makes me feel so inadequate to offer Him anything.  But the Lord knows.  He knew it before I did, and He loved me anyway.  So I will press forward.  Though my heart will never be presented in perfection before Him by my efforts, He knows it's my desire, and I believe that is pleasing to Him.


ps-the song is called "Resting Place" off the the cd "Isn't He"

Comments

Wee said…
Shar, once again, another thought-provoking post! It's great to see your heart. Recognizing our inadequacies, and admitting them to Him (who knows us better than we know ourselves), is actually a great place to be in that it makes us rely completely on the Lord. What a great goal for one's life. May He bless the desires of your heart.
Tami said…
shar, i have a theory...and it's this. a lot of mothers talk about how their bodies fell apart after they had kids, but i say, it's age 'cause had they not gotten married and not had kids (like myself) they would see that their body falls apart anyway! (i'm sure the mothers reading this wont agree with me :)).
sometimes i think that with seeking God...i know that there are aspects of it that are easier as a single person, but i think once you pass college and get older, it seems different as the emotional highs and lows aren't there anymore.
i really don't know what i'm saying except to say that i appreciated your post, once again...and kind of wish that i was in those college days when seeking God seemed to be all i did or wanted to do. love you.
Rebekah said…
I appreciated this post Shar.

I was just talking about this with one of my friends at church. we were saying that we feel so emotionally dead in our relationship with God since we have become moms. But your thought that we are still serving him...just in a different way, helped me. But in all honesty, I know that part of it is that I have not put the same effort into my relationship that I did when I was young, and seeking him for so many things in my life.

I guess I need to realize that I still need him as much or more than ever.

Thank you for reminding me of what is missing at times.

love you.
Nichole said…
Thank you, Shar. You echo my thoughts. I appreciate that you are willing to put them in print :)
Love, Nichole
Christen Leigh said…
yes, as the others i appreciate your thoughts, too! I am coming to Leo this weekend......so get ready for fun!!! :)
Jami said…
I loved your post today Shar and I love your heart!!
Pam said…
It's a constant effort - no matter what stage of life we're in. But, as you said, a knowing that we both seek and rest is part of maturing in our faith.

I love you, Shar. Thank you for sharing your heart. It's good to be challenged by your posts.

Love,
Aunt Pam
megs @ whadusay said…
Love this post shar. I feel like motherhood has made me see my need for a savior like nothing else.

I can't say I'd want to go back to the college days. I may have "felt" bigger highs in my relationship with Christ, but I feel like it is so much deeper now.

Thanks for sharing!
Jane said…
Shar dear,
I too love reading your posts, which speaks your heart. Isn't it neat, and amazing that God could speak to you through song in a busy van with your kids there. You didn't have to chisel out time to get alone. He meets us where we are at. XXOO

Popular Posts