The Other Side

I am sitting here with the glory of free time and no one else awake in the house; so no one around that I feel I need to be tending to in anyway. Definitely a rarity.

We are home from our lovely trip (posts to come about that later), and my kids are asleep. My hubby is, too. Usually we go to sleep together, but he has been feeling yucky today and found out he had a temperature tonight when we got home. (Sorry to all the people near him on the plane.) He conked out while I was writing beside him in bed, so I moved here to the computer to blog about the thoughts that have been rolling around in my head.

I have been feeling really restless lately. I will definitely blame some of it on the weather. I am not a fan of winter past Christmas (and that is putting it mildly). I'll also blame some of it on the fact that we have decided to stay put in our house for the next several years. I don't think it's that I'm not happy or content here, but a year ago I was really feeling like I wanted to do something new. Something that was a fun endeavor. Lighthearted. Exciting. So maybe these feelings stem partially from let down.

With fostering and having babies, it's not like our lives have lacked for new things, but new things that are lighthearted and energizing have been scarce. Buying a new house and having our 'forever' plot of land to do what we wanted with seemed exciting. It was a year ago that we decided to start looking. And now that we've stopped, I feel those same sorts of restless feelings, like I want to be doing something other than what I'm doing.

I've always resisted the need to make mothering 'something', since a lack of attentive parents yields obvious issues all around us, but at times I begin to feel like I am wasting away. It can feel like my only identity is being a wife and mother, yet I know I was a person before marriage and children. There's so little time and energy for any interest of my own, and even if there were, I feel like I've lost touch with what those things would be.

I'm sure these feeling will lessen as spring arrives, and a new haircut and spontaneous trip to Florida have helped a bit in the meantime. None of this is tragic or earth shattering, but I don't think I've ever felt these things before, so it's a little unsettling for me.

I believe we have feelings for a reason. Sort of an indicator of things that might need to be worked through or addressed. I don't know whether I need to change or pick up activities, or if something in my perspective needs refreshing. But I'm thinking and praying, and I trust it will become clear in time.

Comments

megs @ whadusay said…
Hi Shar - glad you are home safe - can't wait to hear about your trip! I can relate with your feelings, I feel them to, especially lately. I feel like there is something more, or that I'm not taking advantage of life like I should, or something... not quite sure how to put it into words, but I definately feel it. Praying for you and with you friend!
Love ya,
megs
Jami said…
Shar I love your heart. Thanks for sharing. I think you're great and everytime I know I'm going to be with you, I'm excited! :) Does that help for something?? :) Love you!
emilykate said…
Hey so I've never commented, but I read your blog from time to time. I do have to say that I think being a wife/mother does seem draining and selfless and I would say your feelings are probably very valid.

And I love, love your haircut, but I told you that already. :)
smw said…
em, i'm honored to have you read. :) and thanks for all the hair complements.

megs and jami, it's nice to have your love and support. :)
Anonymous said…
I can so relate girl. A while back I had those same feelings. I could sense change, and Jeff could too. We prayed and prayed and I thought the same situation as you(house wise). But God's bigger than you and me. He had other plans. That's exactly when God called us to adoption.
Now I'm so not saying that's what God's telling you here. Not at all. But who knows. He had you go through it. You write so well, and from your heart. And from that I can tell God has taken you a few different directions, and it's hard going through it. My point is that God's not done. Who knows what's around the corner, right?? Once this dumb winter's out of the way at least! (: haha
Marla said…
All I know is that I love your openness and how you gave up your "dream" of a new home (for now) with such a good attitude. And that probably has something to do with your restlessness; you were expecting change and now things are going to be the same for a bit longer. I would feel the same way.

As an encouragement, I just want you to know that time passes all too soon and you WILL be able to pursue other things. REALLY! But right now you are living your calling, even though it may feel mundane. And God will reveal Himself to you (and his plan for you) when He chooses.

Praying for you and all my girls:) Spring will come!!!!
Marla said…
Oh, and I want to see your hair!!
Janell said…
Hey Shar. Love this post b/c I relate right now. I wonder if it's this drab winter that needs to be over! or a massive move by the Holy Spirit! Or both. :) Love you. Post some pics of your hair!!
Christen Leigh said…
It was good to talk to you the other day about this. As I said before, despite your restlessness, I think you are such an awesome and fun Mom and sister!

I really do think the winter has at least a little something to do with it-- I have been feeling kind of restless for the last week, too.

I will be praying for you guys. I am also ever so excited to see pictures of your trip!

Love ya much much!
smw said…
thanks for all the encouragement. :) it is really helpful to know that these feelings are common.
Daish said…
What would I do without you? Die probably.
Wee said…
Daish, I wonder the same thing! Shar, you have such a beautiful heart. I love how you share your thoughts! I am thankful for you!
Sara Huber said…
Hey Shar, great post. Your feelings resonate with me as well...interesting that many of us in the same stage of life are feeling similar things. Sometimes I wonder if the "longing for more" is an underlying longing for eternity. And yet, as you said, we have to pay attention to our feelings as a way the Holy Spirit is prodding us to abide in Christ...whatever that means for each of us as individuals.
Expectations are everything...and the fact that you were expecting to move is probably playing a bigger part in this than you think. It's a downer when you're geared up for something and then things don't turn out as expected.
Love ya, Sara
T and M said…
thanks for being so open. i appreciated your thoughts...and a lot of what you said sounded familiar. Mandy

Popular Posts