Breaking up the Fallow Ground

I have been rereading "No Compromise" this past couple of weeks. I last read it 14 years ago as a senior. (I can't believe that things that don't seem THAT long ago are now 1/2 my lifetime ago. Anyway...) It has been really neat to read it again. I remember just crying and crying at the end. I think my parents were a little worried about me. This time I'm crying as I go. I'm sure 1/2 the reason I'm crying is that I'm pregnant-I don't usually cry much at all-but I also am really being touched.

Anyway, there's something faith building about being able to step back and in the course of a few hours see how God worked in and pursued people throughout their lives. To see Him just keep bringing them step by step, more and more into His likeness and truth. Often through times where they were 'glaringly' off.

I could give all kinds of examples, but then I'd practically have the book written here. So I'll just focus on the point that has stood out the most to me so far. Keith was talking about revivals and focused on a verse from Hosea about breaking up the fallow ground. He described fallow ground as areas of our lives that were once tilled and good soil, ready for planting, but have now become dry and hard. I know this describes certain areas of my life.

Probably the most obvious area is in mothering. I think the "fallowness" has come from mothering being such a hard thing that I have just put aside ideals that I had in the beginning because facing failure is too painful. It's easier to just 'toughen up' and act like it's not even a concern. Things like not speaking to my kids in anger and harshness. Practicing (and believing) that "the wrath of man doesn't work the righteousness of God." I'm thinking that my fallowness is rooted in trying to protect myself.

I am being prodded, however, to open myself up to face my failures and let it hurt so that these areas of fallow ground can be tilled and soft again. In doing so, I'm being reminded how pain that we face from the Lord is always accompanied by a refreshing that surpasses the hurt-and actually makes you glad you went through it. Just another reminder that I don't need to protect myself, but trust the Lord to protect and keep me, knowing and believing He will do what's best.

I don't at all feel like I'm through this process and full of fertile soil, but it's a beginning, and that feels good.

Comments

Rebekah said…
so good to read this Shar. I remember when I read that book when I was probably a sophomore in college that part touching me then. I remember in highschool my mom had us read Charles Finney's sermon which if I remember right was what really got Keith delving into this topic. It was so terribly convicting...like to the point i didn't like the sermon :). But I knew it was because God's truth can sometimes be so hard to hear.

So, it was so good to be reminded of this again today! Thanks! It was convicting but good. love ya!
Christen Leigh said…
Shar-- thanks for this post. I really appreciate your thoughts. As I read this, I can think of a couple areas in my life (and probably a whole lot more if I continue to ponder) that I kind of "ignore" because I am afraid and don't want to go through the whole process of "breaking the fallow ground"

Sigh...you are so right when you say it is so worth it and we usually are thankful in the end. :)

Excited to see you this weekend!
megs @ whadusay said…
I may have to pick up that book again and re-read, I don't remember when I read it, probably in high school or college.

Thanks for sharing your heart. You really need to come to Hearts at Home with me next year. I always leave refreshed and renewed as a mom.

Love you friend!!!
Jane said…
I love seeing your heart Shar!

Popular Posts