Internet Addicts (not really) Anonymous

Since I've spent the better part of a year in bed, the internet, largely via the phone, has become my friend.  I lurk around observing Instagram, pinning, reading blogs, researching whatever burning question is on my mind at the moment, etc.  I have had times of being without my phone (accidentally) that I've had to have a conversation with myself that I will be ok.  Some of that is the  reality of my life and the emotional/mental toll it has taken, but some of it is just plain too much dependance on that device.  I'm half tempted to get a dumb phone. A money saving option I just may consider, though I'm not sure how to go back to life without the calendar and contacts and maps available at all times. Anyway...

I am setting up some rules for myself, and if anyone else would like to join me for accountability (or just keep me accountable), I would love it.

So here are my goals as of now:

  • Keep the sound on (quietly) so I don't compulsively check to see if someone has called or texted.  I can leave my phone in one place and hear if they did, then respond.
  • Charge my phone in the kitchen again.  I have been charging by my bed at night-since large bits of this past year I didn't move far from it, but I am not at that point anymore, and I am back to the place where it would clearly be healthier to keep the phone out of my room. (I would undoubtedly get more sleep!)
  • Phone goes to the charging station at 9:30, unless I'm out somewhere.
  • Phone does not get checked in the morning until the family is fed and off to their days. (Or are all still in bed/not up and around yet.)
  • I can check email once in the a.m. and once in the p.m.
  • I can check Instagram, Pinterest, and blogs once a day.
  • Just stop Facebook. Use it as a tool to keep in contact when helpful, but avoid all the processing that is needed when being exposed to SO much information about EVERYTHING. :)
  • I want to use my phone as a tool-largely as a phone and for texting-and be polite.  Not only give my attention to the people in stores, doctors' offices, but also to my family.  It is so easy to be in my own little world.
I'm not sure what to do about Safari.  I think I look up the answers to compelling, burning questions ALL THE TIME.  I'm not even sure how to address this. Ideas?

Comments

L, Ann and boys said…
It's really hard to not use all these devices too much! I hear you. I've tried different things but always come back to the simple premise that if I take something off, I must put something on to replace it or my brain freaks out. For me, simply planning a lunch with a friend or getting a really good book to read can be enough. If I'm in a real emotionally trying time, I pull out the big guns and do something bigger like taking a class, training for a race or plotting a trip out in my head that we may or may not ever do as a couple or family...but it doesn't matter, I just need something to hold onto. Getting out of the Safari rut is harder I agree. I love looking things up. If it's possible, I try to find a real book about a subject which is pretty ancient I know...but they have them online and it's much easier to find them now. The information is more reliable too. If I quote a health related fact Luke is great about asking where I got the information. From experience is okay...but he's rightly skeptical of Dr Google. :D Glad to hear you are able to be up and about more! :D
emilykate said…
I like your thoughts/rules! I guarantee all of us could benefit from implementing one or multiple of them! I got completely off Facebook but had first started with deleting it off my phone. So, so valuable for me. I realized it was adding absolutely nothing of value to my life. I keep meaning to get a clock/alarm to put on my bedside table so I don't need to have my phone nearby at night!
LOVE this post so much! Thanks for sharing -- I can SO relate! I really need to set up something like this for myself.

Keep us updated on how it is going!
smw said…
Ann-I am comforted to know that it is normal (or at least i'm not the only one) who has a hard time mentally thinking about these kinds of changes. it was another chance for me to have one of those "you're going to be just fine" conversations with myself as i started to do this last night. I love your ideas for other things to focus on. Very fun and life giving! i also love the (novel!) idea of reading books for answers! who would have thought of that?! ;)

em-i am sort of dreading going back to my obnoxiously loud alarm, but maybe in time i'll invest in a gentle one from somewhere... let me know if you find such a thing.

saran-thanks! will do!! at least i can hold myself accountable by reporting here once in awhile or something. :)
sandra said…
I hear you shar. Not alone for sure. I just deleted Facebook all together about 3+ yrs ago. Yes I miss out on a few things here and there but I am surviving. We really don't need to know all the info posted on that source anyways. Safari....ahhhhh and Pinterest recipes.....Ahhh....I use Pinterest as my actual cookbook and plan meals literally from that source. I do love it but find it too is wasting time. Not sure I can give those up right now. I feel so sad that I have become so attached to my phone that when I leave it at home on accident I feel lost. I've even turned around for it a time or two. And guess what....I'm using my phone to check blogs and everything else. Like I said you are not alone. I might adapt a few of your rules. I like the keeping phone in one place when home and keeping it on low. And putting it away at 9:30pm!!
leah said…
This is really great to think through. Thanks for sharing! I've been cutting back in some areas too, but I may have to implement a few more areas! :)
smw said…
:) Leah.
Sandra-I hear you!! I like the strong independence I felt just a few short years ago with no phone at all! :)
Christen Leigh said…
I so relate with too much checking. I'm taking a break from social media right now but find I still compulsively check my phone--like email and weather! What is it about phones?!? Haha.
smw said…
So funny that you are compulsively checking the weather. :) maybe I'll have to try that. ;)
T and M said…
oh Shar, this all sounds so familiar-I find myself using my phone way more than i like lately. I succumbed a bit over a year ago and even though it has been a good change to have a smart phone, i like your ideas. I tried something similar that I called "austerity measures" a couple months ago, but it only partly worked-your ideas seem a bit more do-able.

One of the big problemas I ran into was bedtime-so tempting to be on my phone then because my phone is the perfect quiet alarm clock that wakes me up without waking my kids. Except then trent & i weren't praying as often together at night. : ( I think I'm going to plug it in a bit farther from my bed, so that I can't use it in bed.

As far as the researching...i like to research too. I just kind of (try to) limit my researching times to once a day max and only when certain things around the house are done. Unfortunately I've noticed that as I research more on my phone, my consumption of non-fiction has dropped drastically-trying to reverse that trend because I think reading right before bed was really good for me.
smw said…
Mandy-i loved the 'austerity measures' :) made me smile. :)

Tonight i failed and took my phone to bed with me. And here I am online, but I can't sleep, so I guess it doesn't count. :)

I totally read less, too, when I'm active on my phone. I haven't enjoyed reading as much this past year because too many topics seemed overwhelming, so researching felt like a better fit, but I am starting to miss it more.

Anyway, I am going to get up and try again tomorrow, and not take it to my room because i 'need to figure something out' and 'jaret is looking at his anyway'. ;)
Jacki said…
good ideas, I can relate with having too much of it!!
smw said…
If only I was sticking to them well!!!!

Popular Posts