Public School

Avi started second grade last Thursday. It's her first go at public school, and she's loving it. She is little Miss Social, so I wasn't worried about her, and after our initial decision was made last spring that we would be sending her (and all my accompanying tears), we've both been really excited.

Here she is on the first day, starting to walk to the bus.
Kids hanging out, waiting for the bus. Smith was really getting into it, too.

The neighborhood gang at the bus stop. Smith and little miss purple pj's weren't going to get to ride the bus, but they were going to hang out with the rest as long as possible.
Just about to hop on! Jaret called after Smith to remind him that he wasn't going. :) He said, "I know."
After Avi left, Smith told me that he doesn't want to wait like Avi did to go to school. I told him he can't go this year, but maybe next. He seems fairly excited about the prospect. All from a boy who told me 5 months ago that he was never going to school. I have to confess I'm a bit relieved to hear it.

Starting on the very first day we have pictured here, Smith, Faye and I have just been having a jolly time here together. We've gone somewhere kind of fun every day, except for one, and I feel just as free as a bird. I had no idea I was doing so much work. But it does explain why it was not uncommon for me to only leave my home once in a week (other than church).

I didn't stop homeschooling because of the work, but the freedom sure is nice. I really enjoyed our preschool and kindergarten time at home together. With foster parenting at the time, it was like a God send to have that built in time with the little ones. And while last year wasn't pleasant, it did lend clarity to what direction we should take.

I've come to the conclusion that to homeschool you have to either: 1-have a conviction that it is what you are called to, or that it's best for your children. (or a conviction of some sort) or 2- have a desire. I've never had a conviction, but I really did desire to have her home with me while I did. But at this point, my desire is non-existant. I'm praying that the Lord will guide us clearly, but as it looks now, I could have two kids in school by this time next year. Crazy!! It seems that parenting never goes along as you are sort of expecting it to!

Comments

Jacki said…
How fun to be able to see a glimpse into your lives (and street :-). Faye looks so grown up in those top two pictures!!! How precious! it was great to be with you all last night!
megs @ whadusay said…
I've been meaning to e-mail to ask how it's been going! Glad you are feeling good about the decision and that Avi is enjoying school.

Cute pics - I love how Smith was hanging out with the kids. Our boys will hang out on our sidewalk in their pjs until the bus comes some mornings, but the stop is too far away for them to hang out with the kids.

Popular Posts