The middle of the house story (also known as 'The Amazing Lady We Hope to Buy a House From')

I know it's ridiculous when I do four posts in a day, but that seems to be the way blogging is for me. Silence for weeks, then motivation that equals a spurt of several all at once. Oh well. This is my version of scrapbooking, so I guess it serves its purpose however the posts get up.

So anyway, that night I was thinking through how everything could work out, worrying a bit about large up front costs like a riding lawn mower and hating the idea of another person waiting on our house to sell. The next morning I got an email from her that said that she would be leaving the riding lawn mower with the house and that she wanted us to know that she was not in any hurry to move. She believed that God knew the best timing to work everything out, and if it happened right away, she could work with that, but she would be willing to wait on us to buy her house if it took a year.

It was so sweet of her, to begin with, but then just felt like an awesome gift of love from God that He responded to my two biggest worries about the house the morning after I'd been struggling with trust. Each step just feels like another down the road of learning to believe and trust more.

So we went and looked at the house again a couple of weeks ago with the kids (they love it, by the way). I meant to take her a gift, but forgot to get around to it. And guess what? Instead, the lady was baking homemade braided bread and sent a loaf home with us. It was delicious and gone before we got home. (It WAS lunch time.) :)

We continue to communicate, and almost always she says something that is uplifting and faith affirming. Yesterday I called to ask her about a survey, and she told me how she had thought of it about three weeks ago and had just received it from the bank this week. She told me how their paperwork was not in order as far as being prepared for a death, but that right before she needs something, she thinks of it, or it shows up. She told me how she just feels God is leading her through every step.

Today I went to pick up the copy of the survey. I was glad to have a cute little Christmas baggie of caramels to bring to her. (And by little I mean it easily fits in your hand.) I called to let her know when I was coming, and she asked if I could wait 10 minutes. I figured she needed to get dressed or something, but when I got there I found out that thiswas the reason.

She had done a cookie baking party for some girls and was giving us a bunch of stuff from the event, in addition to other stuff. She told me that she didn't want any of it back. Not even the cake stand or the basket.


This gingerbread bag had these delicious sweets inside.

This picnic basket has cookie dough, her own cookbook, tons and tons of cookie decorating tools, candies, fancy frostings, etc.
I thanked her and said, "Seriously, it just goes on and on with you, doesn't it?!"

How do you respond to these kinds of things? These gifts are the types of things I think would be fun to do with my kids at Christmas (but even far beyond what I dream of), but they rarely happen. I guess I just hope that someday when my kids are grown that I take the time to do this kind of things for others. Knowing her has been such a blessing to us in so many ways.

Comments

Sandra said…
AMAZING!!! God does have his way with timing and the need to meet new people at certain times in our lives. What a lesson I have learned even and I didn't even meet her. To reach out, even in times of dispair and trials. To go far and above what we might think we should do. I am confident that this house will be yours someday, and if not...at least you have had a TRUE blessing by meeting her.
Wee said…
AWESOME! I love stories like this! Thanks for allowing us to share in this adventure of your lives. I can't wait to "read" the next chapter!
T and M said…
I'll be looking forward to the "final" part of the house story! I was blessed when I read this & very thankful for you guys ( :
teresa said…
Precious women of faith! I marvel at the timing throughout your story. What a wonderful example of being in tune with God, trusting fully and watching Him unfold the rest of the story. I believe you both are a blessing to the other. God's like that. =) Thanks so much for sharing!!
Christen Leigh said…
Aww how insanely sweet of her.... seriously! I agree that God's hand seems to be so in this situation. I look forward to hearing the final chapter of the story too. :)

On another note.... I liked your Christmas card, even in the techy version. Also, Avi's program looks fun! I wish I could have been there and that I could be there this weekend, too. boohoo. :(

Now I have practically written a blog post in a comment, so I must cease! Love ya.
Sara Huber said…
Hey Shar...just checked in on your blog and I'm so glad I did! What a cool God-story! It's so neat how you guys are able to be a blessing to this lady just as she is to you. Thanks for sharing.
Leslie Ringger said…
shar, this story makes me want to cry! so amazing!
Jami said…
Wow - What a cool cool story!!
Pam said…
The other day I was wondering where you were on the house situation and I'm so glad to read this update today. God is obviously in this, whether for the blessings happening now or for the house in the end, or both. We don't need to know now, but just trust Him and enjoy the blessings on the journey.

Popular Posts