I miss homeschooling

I don't know if it's that this time of year is always when I did my planning for the next year (which I loved), or the catalogs of fun looking programs arriving in the mail, or my feeling less purpose-since doing laundry and dishes just doesn't feel as meaningful as spending time teaching my kids, but I've sure been missing those days when they were all gathered around me at home. I suppose it's probably all of the previously mentioned reasons, and they've come together to make me feel like I wish I was still homeschooling.

This year has gone very well for the kids, and we've seen some good improvements, so I've been finding myself wondering if I could justify homeschooling for selfish reasons. I've made lists of pros and cons of both, and frustratingly, both options have about the same weight of good and bad. So I asked Jaret to give me his gut feeling on what we should do. He said he kind of thinks we should keep going with public school.

Deep down, I've been feeling the same, but it made me sad. :( I miss those young days doing something purposeful and fun together.

So anyway, I'm trying to think of ways to do that to a smaller degree again. When they've been gone all day, I don't want to make them sit some more, when they could/should be out moving around as much as possible. So I'm thinking of taking over reading at bedtime. I think it sounds fun to read about things from history and fun books in literature. I'm also thinking of doing some fun science stuff and field trips this summer.

These ideas have taken my sadness away. I'm really excited to interact more on this level with them again! If anyone wants to do summer field trips, or has fun science ideas, let me know!

Comments

Jacki said…
Dear Shar---have we talked about going to the Fair Oaks Dairy? (are you familiar with it?)--it's over by Rensselaer, and when Rach was an assistant houseparent we took her "house" there once-- A lot of schools go there for field trips, and now it has a little restaurant and ice cream shop there, too. it would be fun to go there sometime this summer with you!
smw said…
avi's church friends have been talking about how they are going there, and she's been sad to miss it. it would be a lot of fun to do that with you. we'll have to plan it.

love ya!
Jami said…
shar, you're such a sweet mommy!
Wee said…
We just went to Fair Oaks Dairy at the end of March. It was fabulous and we'd highly recommend it. The day we were there, we were able to see calves being born....an awesome experience! Also, Shar if you want to come over and work with my girls, I can play with Faye and keep her occupied. :) And one last thing...I'm up for any summer field trips!
smw said…
thanks, lorelei!

i'm glad to know you're up for trips. avi said she wants to go with friends, so she'd love that!
Jacki said…
it would be fun for you to bring friends when you come, Shar. Lorelei, would you like to go again?
Daish said…
I'd love to go on some field trips, if they are age appropriate for Creed. Shar, what a great idea to take over bedtime reading! You are so smart with how you do things. Love you.
heidi said…
I wish we lived closer and we could go and do fun things together. We are thinking about homeschooling Will, and I should get into the mode of teaching and learning even now. You inspire me. :)

Popular Posts