Lessons from Little House

I've been reading through the Little House on the Prairie series. I've enjoyed them all, though some of them are more interesting than others. I loved Little House in the Big Woods. There were so many fascinating peaks into life in the 1800's. Farmer Boy was the same way. The Long Winter was incredible because of all that they endured. There were so many times I'd say to Jaret, "LISTEN TO THIS!!!" and read him some new horror. :)

The one I finished last was Little Town on the Prairie, and it seemed to take on a somewhat profound air. There were several little gems that often had me stopping to mark pages. I wish I could write them all out here, but to get the meat of what they are saying, I'd have a blog post about 10 pages long, so I'm just going to write a few reminders below.

Pages 11 and 12. Our goodness and the goodness of God

Bottom of page 89 (though reading before this page gives a lot more context to the statement).
"This earthly life is a battle," said Ma. "if it isn't one thing to contend with, it's another. It always has been so, and it always will be. The sooner you make up your mind to that, the better off you are, and the more thankful for your pleasures..."
I feel like this is a key to gratefulness. Not thinking that life is supposed to be easy or feeling entitled to constant comfort. Accepting hardship as a reality of life and being grateful for all the blessings. Now to do it... :)

The chapter called "Blackbirds". This chapter is about the ruining of pretty much their entire year's crop by blackbirds. Ma says the following on page 101, "There's no great loss without some small gain," as they feast on blackbirds that got fat from eating their crop. I want to approach life with that kind of attitude.

Comments

Christen Leigh said…
Oh I loved these books-- I should re-read them someday. And my, what wisdom to behold! :)

Hope you're having a good week-- it was so fun to see you guys this weekend!
Leslie Ringger said…
i like that... a lot :)
megs @ whadusay said…
profound. We've read through Little House in the Big Woods and are intending to pick up the others along the way.

We've grown pretty soft in America I think. Most people think comfort is something we deserve (and I say we really meaning me)..

Thanks for sharing Ma's wisdom.

Popular Posts