Anticipation

I realize as I begin writing that this time of year may not typically yield the most uplifting posts for me. I'll blame winter. Sadly, this one may line up a bit with history. :) :(

So, Anticipation. I'm realizing I don't like it. I know that may sound really weird, and I probably am just weird. When we're getting ready to go on a trip, I never look forward to it. Not that I'm not happy that I'm going, just that I'm living and content (usually) in the moment, and I'm not thinking ahead to the trip.

I know lots of people are fueled by upcoming events. My husband is one of them. When a trip is over, he feels let down unless there's something else coming, which I think seems logical.

However, I've realized recently that not only do I not really anticipate things, at least in some cases, I hate the anticipation of things. Anticipating this baby is what I'm dealing with right now. I don't like knowing there's this big change coming, but not really knowing what the changes will be.

This is child #4, so I have some clues. Usually I think about the potential changes when I'm going crazy with mothering 3, and I wonder how adding another is going to affect things. My best guess is that the most likely outcome isn't that I'm going to be a more exemplary parent, housekeeper or wife. :(

So I end up just wishing it was here or that I didn't know that it was coming.

I know ultimately I need to just keep my mind in the present as much as possible, even though I know a big event is on the way. Just wish that was easier for me to do...

Comments

Jacki said…
Oh Shar, i have every confidence in you and the Lord!! it may not be "easy" but i think sometimes the greatest blessings come when we have to lean on the Lord for our strength- (and "sanity", i can relate to that in earlier years :-)! "His strength is made perfect in our weakness".

Love you lots!!!
smw said…
what a sweet response, mom. thanks for the encouragement. really i do just need to try to keep my mind here. and it's a good reminder that His strength is perfect in our weakness. i hope i can figure out how that can practically translates into a mother who isn't grouchy and edgy a lot of the time. :)
Christen Leigh said…
I agree-the anticipation for potentially challenging things can be difficult. I think you are an awesome Mom, though, and have every confidence that God will grant you grace and you will continue to be one. Sometimes people tell me I'm like you, and I take it as a huge compliment....if I can be a Mom like you someday, I will be quite happy! :)
Jami said…
oh shar, i just love you! :)
arlan and katie said…
Oh Shar, I love your post!

Our husbands are definitely the exact same with anticipation especially involving trips; we are not even home from the current trip we are on/enjoying before Arlan feels like he needs to plan another one or feels like he doesn't have much to look forward to...no clues on how to translate that to baby advice however!

Your 3 kiddos now are such fun-loving kids and I'm sure there are days when you or them or both want to pull each other's hair out, but rest assured as the older 2 grown up, they will/might become the help you've always envisioned :)

Happy Friday-Katie
smw said…
wow. you are all so sweet and encouraging. thanks! :)
megs @ whadusay said…
I tend to be more like Jaret when it comes to anticipating things, but I can totally understand the fear side of things, especially when life-altering changes are on the way. Transitions, specifically, stink. Praying for you friend :) And, so, so excited (and anticipating) that we get to spend time with you again in just over 24 hours!!!!!!!
Daish said…
Shar, I'm not trying to be flowery, but you are truly a wonderful mom. I've thought often that I'm so grateful for your "Mom" example in my life. You are so real and honest so i know your feelings of weakness, but you show such deep strength, really, in how you parent. My Grandma and you have been two key people in my life that have been living examples to me of enjoying and keeping my eyes on my life with my family and kids. Doing that (enjoying and keeping my eyes on my family and boys) is life giving to me everytime. So thanks. I do love you, and I'll keep praying for you with the anticipation of this new little boy. :)

Popular Posts